Why do we collect
When you first become a client
or whenever you acquire or renew a product from us, we need to collect
some of your personal information. Common purposes for which we collect
your information are to:
- enable us to acquire or renew an insurance policy for you;
- assist you and assess your ongoing needs for insurance;
- assess your need for other products, and offer them to you;
- insure your information is accurate and up-to-date;
- and protect us both against error and fraud; ^Top
What personal information do we collect?
Personal information is information
that identifies you as an individual client and relates specifically to
you. Depending on the purpose(s) for which we need to collect it, we may
ask for the following personal information about you including:
- basic information such as your name, address, telephone/fax numbers,
e-mail address, birth date and marital status.
- claims history;
- credit and past payment records;
- driver's record;
- details about your property such as the value of your home and it's
- medical information such as any condition that may affect the operation
of a vehicle;
- employment information;
We may obtain this information from:
- insurance companies
- other insurance brokers or agents
- credit organizations
- motor vehicle and driver licensing authorities
- financial institutions
- medical professionals ^Top
Who do we disclose your personal information
For many purposes identified above,
we will need to share your personal information with others in order to
serve your needs. These other parties commonly include:
- insurance companies;
- other insurance brokers or agents;
- credit organizations;
- professionals working with us such as adjusters or lawyers;
- financial institutions. For example, the organization that carries your
How do we protect your personal information?
In order to protect your personal
information and right to privacy, we will:
- Not collect, use or disclose your personal information for any purpose
other than those that we identify to you.
- Keep you personal information for as long as we need it to fulfill the
stated purpose or to as required by law.
- Maintain your personal information in as accurate, complete and up-to-date
a form as possible.
- Safeguard your personal information to the best of our ability.
- Respond to any request you make to access or correct the personal information
we hold about you.
- Obtain the appropriate consent from you for the collection, use or disclosure
of your personal information. ^Top
We may obtain your express consent
or we may determine that consent has been implied by the circumstances.
- We might ask you for your express consent in writing,
for example in a signed consent or application form.
- We may ask you for your express consent in person or over the telephone.
- We may determine that by seeking insurance through our organization,
your consent has been implied for us to deal with your personal information
in a reasonable manner.
There are also legal exceptions in which we will not need to obtain your
consent or explain the purpose for collection, use or disclosure of your
personal information. For example, this could apply when there is an emergency
situation, or if it is necessary for your protection or ours. ^Top
You can control how we handle your personal
We want you to know that you do
have choices in this matter. You could refuse to allow us to obtain, use
or share your personal information or you could also withdraw a previously
given consent at any time.
However by doing that , depending on the
situation, you may be limiting or even preventing our ability to provide
you with the product or service you desire. For example, if you do not
allow us to obtain information about your driving record, it is unlikely
that we will be able to provide you with auto insurance. We'll be happy
to discuss particular situations with you to help you with your decision.